Resources related to tomorrow’s Mental Wellness Day for Schools. The Alberta Education website, https://www.alberta.ca/mental-wellness-day-for-schools.aspx, contains all of the session links, teaching resources, and promotional materials such as social media graphics and posters.
We invite students, staff and parents to access sessions live – as part of a virtual assembly or class – or to watch them later, until June 18 (when the content will be taken down). Most sessions will be available shortly after the event, unless otherwise noted.
We have been promoting the day and sharing session information on our Twitter account, @AlbertaEd. You may wish to share recent tweets—which include graphics, content on many of the sessions and a video—to your school communities.
Here are the highlights. As noted, full details and links are available on our website.
- 9 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.: the Minister of Education joins special guests to kick off the day
- 10 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.: Alberta Health Services is offering two age-appropriate mental health literacy sessions (K-3 and 4-6) on ‘Making Friends with your Stress Response’
- 11 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.: Ever Active Schools is offering two age-appropriate mental health literacy sessions (K-3 and 4-6) on social emotional learning through activity
- 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: The College of Alberta School Superintendents (CASS) and Alberta Education will discuss designing a mental health continuum of supports and services (for school and authority leaders)
- 1:15 – 2:15 p.m.: Youth Summit with Jack.org for Grades 7 to 12. Topics include how to take care of oneself and be there for others. There will be live music and Q&A.
- 3:45-5 p.m.: For school staff, a talk on ‘Maintaining our Capacity to Cope during Times of Change and Challenge’ by renowned resiliency expert, author and speaker Dr. Michael Ungar
- 7 p.m.: For parents, a talk by renowned child psychologist, author and speaker Dr. Jody Carrington on ‘Connection Matters’
All student sessions contain printable teacher resources in both French and English. The Ever Active Move to Wellness session (K to 3 and 4 to 6) is delivered in both French and English.